Interested in the health benefits of turmeric? This magical spice is one of the best foods (or supplements) you can consume for your health. Turmeric is a plant that is common in South Asia, particularly India where it is widely used in the production of spices, and is the key ingredient in curry powder that gives the powder its yellow shade. The spice is also known for its medicinal properties and has been used in India for centuries as a natural remedy for a multitude of ailments.
The Health Benefits of Turmeric
While commonly used medicinally for decades, turmeric as an herbal medicine caught the attention of the modern world only recently. Scientists have only begun revealing the exact health benefits of this plant. Research and history shows how turmeric can be utilized to help treat or prevent many of the most common and serious health conditions. Here are some of the top health benefits of turmeric:
- Turmeric powder has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that make it an ideal antiseptic used in home remedies for wounds.
- Possibly one of the most impressive of the top health benefits of turmeric, research has repeatedly shown that turmeric is a powerful cancer fighter. Curcumin is a naturally powerful anticancer compound found in turmeric that has been shown to decrease brain tumor size in animals by 81 percent in more than 9 studies. Researchers at UCLA have even found that curcumin is able to block cancer growth.
- Further adding on to turmeric’s cancer-fighting abilities, the spice has also been shown to help prevent breast cancer. Curcumin has been found to possess properties that reduce the expression of deadly molecules within cancer cells, and can potentially slow the spread of breast cancer.
- Turmeric can be used to naturally detoxify the liver.
- The spice is a natural painkiller.
- Research is beginning to show that turmeric may be effective at protecting against neuro-degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease. Epidemiological studies show that levels of neurological diseases like Alzheimer’s are very low in elderly Indian populations, where turmeric is a common spice.
- May be beneficial in treating psoriasis.
- Patients with myeloma could possibly be treated with turmeric in the near future.
More studies are currently being performed to reveal other health benefits of turmeric. Whether you use it as a supplement or to spice up your favorite dishes, turmeric will assist in keeping you healthy. As studies progress, turmeric is expected to be a key ingredient in the prevention and treatment of many of today’s diseases.
“Since curcumin is an antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and lipophilic action improves the cognitive functions in patients with AD. A growing body of evidence indicates that oxidative stress, free radicals, beta amyloid, cerebral deregulation caused by bio-metal toxicity and abnormal inflammatory reactions contribute to the key event in Alzheimer’s disease pathology,” says a study on PubMed.
Anthony is a natural health and human empowerment writer, speaker, and entrepreneur whose writings have appeared in #1 USA Today and Wall Street Journal Best-Selling books and top 100 websites. After overcoming Lyme Disease and nerve-related facial paralysis, Anthony's work now reaches several million readers per month through his highly prolific group of social media pages and websites. Focused on self-development techniques and living a healthy lifestyle, Anthony currently sits on the Advisory Board to Natural Society in addition to managing and directing several other companies dedicated to enhancing social good. Anthony's work routinely appears on both alternative and established websites and television programs alike, including Drudge Report, Thom Hartmann, Simple Reminders, RT, Infowars, Michael Savage, Gaiam TV, and many others.