Print Friendly and PDF

‘Non-GMO’ to Trump ‘Organic’ as New Consumer Buzz Word in 2014

Christina Sarich
by
March 15th, 2014
Updated 05/06/2014 at 8:04 pm
Pin It

gmo free 263x164 ‘Non GMO’ to Trump ‘Organic’ as New Consumer Buzz Word in 2014Food companies normally pay millions of dollars in market research to decide what you want, and your voice has made a difference. According to a new study published by Progressive Grocer, consumers want Non-GMO now, more even than ‘organic.’

This ought to give Monsanto, Dow, Syngenta, and the huge food corporations a run for their suicide-seed money: A staggering 80% of consumers sought out non-GMO products in their survey. The non-GMO issue has emerged as a consumer hot-button according to market research, and this is largely in part due to consumer pressure and activism against Monsanto-like monopolies on seed, and the many organizations throughout the world who have reported on the true damage that GMO does to human and ecosystem health.

Other important issues came to light in the survey, such as consumers looking for antibiotic free protein, but the GMO issue was of the highest magnitude of importance for consumers. It has become so important, in fact, that people even seek ‘non-GMO’ more than organic foods – and there is good reason why.

The study found:

  • 80% of participants seek out non-GMO products.
  • 56% said non-GMO is key to brand buying
  • 52% said ‘organic’ is a primary factor when purchasing
  • 7 in 10 shoppers seek out gluten-free
  • 41% plan on buying more gluten-free, while 57% plan on maintaining their current spending on gluten-free
  • 81% buy antibiotic-free protein products
  • About one in 10 follow the Paleo diet
  • LOHAS consumers remain price- and value-driven, with over 80% using either the same (43%) or more (38%) coupons.
  • Half or more health-conscious shoppers will use more online printable coupons (53%) and retailer/in-store coupons (49%) in 2014.

Increasingly, organic farmers are reporting GMO contamination through cross-pollination of their crops. A landmark case recently filed between two farmer neighbors in Australia exemplifies the threat of GMO to the food supply.

GMO Compass reports that Big Ag want to minimize ‘pollen traffic; in order to be able to sell their goods, but consumers are too savvy for their lies.

“In midsummer maize produces its male flowers (tassels) and releases pollen into the air. The pollen reaches the female flowers (the ears) primarily by wind. Even though bees visit the tassels to collect pollen, they have no interest in the female flowers, and therefore do not play a role in pollination.”

How can you stop Mother Nature? The answer is simple, and it would require that no more GMO is planted – ever. Sounds like a buzz phrase to me.

From around the web:

  • GaryL

    I completely agree with your primary findings. The term “Organic” is proprietary to the USDA; there are variations of “purity” within the regulatory guidelines. Simply “Organic” represents that the product is at least 95% GMO free leaving 5% open to question. “Non-GMO” represents no detectable levels of GMO, which under the present levels of GMO contamination is a difficult standard to maintain. This rating may become impossible to maintain unless consumer pressure is increased by the complete refusal to purchase products that are questionable at any level.

  • Steven_King

    Non GMO and Organic are equally important to me. Boycott Monsanto!!!

  • Cindy Koch

    I think too many people think that being GMO free also means pesticides aren’t used and that is not the case. Pesticides are used on GMO free food. Our government wants to get rid of organic food so badly and that is why we need to support our organic farmers.

  • issyco

    For me, it depends. If it’s pineapple or avocados and they are locally grown, I might purchase them if they are not certified organic. But they absolutely have to be non-gmo!