These days genetic modification of the food supply is rather prevalent. With genetic modification being linked to sterility and infant mortality, it is something that should be avoided at all costs. Unfortunately, food products containing genetically modified organisms are often not properly labeled, leading to unknowing consumption of genetically modified ingredients. Learn how to identify which products are genetically modified, and avoid this major health risk.
Reading the Labels:
- Conventional Fruit Labels: Begin with the number 4, and never begin with the number 9.
- Genetically Modified Fruit Labels: Begin with the number 8. Note that it begins with 8, not just contains the number 8. This is often a 5 digit number.
- Organic Fruit Labels: These fruit labels always contain 5 digits, and begin with the number 9. Always check and make sure, as some “organic” products have been known to be deceptively labeled.
Look For Products Labeled 100% Organic:
- United States and Canadian governments do not allow companies to label products 100% organic if they contain genetically modified foods. While it may be harder to find products with this label, this is the best way to go when it comes to avoiding genetically modified ingredients as well as additives.
Look For “Non-GM” or “GMO-Free” Labels:
- Companies know that consumers do not want to purchase items containing genetically modified ingredients. In response, they often flaunt “GMO-Free” labels. This is an obvious indicator that the product is free of genetically modified ingredients. Keep in mind however, that this does not mean the product is organic. Nor does it mean it is free of other harmful additives such as aspartame or MSG. This label may also be on the back of this product.
Always read labels closely, and choose 100% organic products when available. Don’t hesitate to call the company and ask whether or not they use genetically modified ingredients, or even demand they stop using them. Learn more about genetically modified ingredients and the implications of genetically engineering the food supply.
Google Plus Profile Anthony is the Editor of NaturalSociety, producer, consultant, and seeker of truth. Anthony's work has been read by millions worldwide and is routinely featured on major alternative and mainstream news website alike, like the powerful Drudge Report, NaturalNews, Infowars, and many others. Anthony has appeared, oftentimes routinely, on programs like Russia Today (RT), The Alex Jones Show, Coast to Coast AM, and others. Anthony is also a founding member of Natural Attitude and the creator of the independent political website Storyleak