Winter time is one of the worst times to try to keep fit since we tend to travel, bundle up indoors to stay out of the cold weather, and over-eat, but there are some natural ways you can kick-start your metabolism to lose weight and achieve a fit body. Many of the herbs and natural remedies below are also great for your overall health, so why not add them to your list, today?
Here are 11 ways to naturally boost your metabolism.
1. Turmeric – Not only can turmeric help you keep more than a dozen diseases at bay including cancer, diabetes, and heart disease, it can also boost your metabolism. It is also full of nutrition, which means you may eat less naturally as your body acquires the energy it really needs. What’s more, curcumin in turmeric is a great way to cleanse the liver, which is one of the biggest organs of detoxification in the body. A toxic body can’t lose weight.
2. Lecitin – Found in all living cells, lecitin is a natural metabolism booster and helps the body to break down fat. You can add lecitin to your cereal or granola in the morning, and even sprinkle granules on salads or stir fry. It can also be taken in pill form as a supplement. It is highly caloric, but it contains healthful fats which support weight loss. It is not only a fat-burner, but also controls high cholesterol.
3. Kelp - Kelp contains iodine, which supports the thyroid gland – the master metabolism-regulating organ of the body. Kelp can also boost overall nutrition and health since it is full of amino acids, essential fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals. Eating good food means we will want to eat less food. Eat kelp as a snack throughout the day.
4. Cinnamon – This great herb form the inner bark of the Cinnamomum tree has medicinal qualities for numerous diseases – especially diabetes. It also helps to burn fat by helping the body to detox with its high ORAC value. Studies show that abdominal fat is especially sensitive to the active compounds in cinnamon. It also lowers blood sugar levels and can help with ‘sweet’ food cravings which are often high calorie.
5. Chromium – Found naturally in tomatoes, Chromium is a natural fat burner. You can find chromium naturally in eggs, some meat, apples, bananas and spinach.
6. Ginger – Another super food with healing qualities for numerous health issues, ginger can also be used to promote fat loss. Research carried out in Egypt and published in the European Review for Medical and Pharmacological Sciences concluded: “Ginger has a great ability to reduce body weight without inhibiting pancreatic lipase level, or affecting bilirubin concentration, with positive effect on increasing peroxisomal catalase level and HDL-cholesterol.”
7. Yerba Mate – A tea brewed in South America, Yerba Mate is effective at supporting weight loss and boosting metabolism when combined with a balanced diet. One of the ways this herb may work is by slowing down gastric emptying, which means you feel fuller longer, and therefore, eat less. Its active ingredients include Quercetin and Ursolic Acid.
8. Green Tea – Due to its high levels of catechin polyphenols, green tea is an amazing fat-burner and metabolism-booster. There are many clinical studies which prove that green tea helps to burn fat more expeditiously.
9. Bitter Orange – Especially when accompanied by other metabolism-boosting herbs, bitter orange can greatly affect weight loss - positively. Also known as Citrus aurantium, bitter orange ‘extract and p-synephrine increase metabolism and energy expenditure. What’s more, “the data accumulated to date do not support hypothesized concerns regarding potential adverse effects of p-synephrine particularly with respect to the cardiovascular system due to a paucity of binding to α-, β-1 and β-2 adrenergic receptors while exhibiting modest binding to β-3 adrenergic receptors.”
10. Water – Drinking more water not only alkalizes the body and helps it to flush out toxins, it can also help you to feel satiated when you get hunger pangs or strange food cravings. If you drink water before, after, and during your meal, your body will also have an easier time digesting your food. Just replace any sugary sodas, alcohol, and other high-calorie drinks with water.
11. Exercise – You’ve heard it a million times, but movement is one of the best ways to get the lymph flowing, regulate hormones which are in charge of weight loss, and burn calories. Don’t underestimate the power of a good, long walk.