With the consistent creation of GMO labeling bills across the United States, it is painfully obvious that people around the country want GMO-laden food labeled. There is no question that we are slowly winning back our food sovereignty, but we must overcome every hurdle put before us. While it’s great to see states passing GMO labeling initiatives, the battle for the right to know if your food contains genetically modified organisms (GMOs) could come to a screeching halt with the signing of one bill in Congress.
H.R. 4432—the DARK (Deny Americans the Right to Know) ACT—was introduced by Rep. Mike Pompeo. Pompeo is Monsanto’s lackey and the new mouthpiece bought and sold by the Grocery Manufacturer’s Association (GMA) – the organization comprised of numerous companies against GMO labeling. If passed, H.R. 4432 will strip your state of the right to pass a GMO labeling law.
The DARK ACT will have its first hearing on Capitol Hill today. If we don’t turn out in numbers to protest this bill, our collective voice could be silenced.
The Organic Consumers Association has organized busloads of people to attend the hearing, followed by a rally and an organic lunch. But of course not everyone was aware of this in time, or just couldn’t be there. So it’s time to help from afar.
“8 a.m. – 10 a.m. The hearing on Pompeo’s DARK ACT is scheduled to take place at 10:15 a.m. in room 2123 of the Rayburn House Office Building, 45 Independence Ave SW. We will gather there, with signs and banners, beginning around 8 a.m. As many people as can possibly fit into the hearing will attend.
- 10:15 a.m. When the hearing begins, everyone who didn’t get into the Rayburn Building will move to our permitted rally spot on the Capitol grounds, at the corner of Independence and 1st St. SE. There we will have a number of speakers who will address the crowd and the media.
11 a.m. – 2 p.m. After we wrap up the rally and speakers, we’ll move to the Capitol Hill Presbyterian Church, 201 4th St. SE (4th and Independence Ave, SE). *** The church also has a hostel with 60 beds. Email [email protected] to reserve a bed for Dec.9 or Dec. 10.”
If you can’t be in D.C., you can still help to make this day a huge success. Please take the following actions:
- Help flood the phone lines on Capitol Hill. Call your Congress members on December 10, beginning at 9 a.m. When you are connected with a staff person, you can say: “Hello, my name is [FIRST NAME, LAST NAME] and I live in [CITY, STATE]. I couldn’t attend today’s protest against H.R. 4432, a bill that would preempt states’ rights to label GMOs, but I am calling to ask [NAME OF CONGRESS PERSON] to reject H.R. 4432 and to support states’ rights to pass mandatory GMO labeling laws. Thank you.” Look up your Representatives and Senators here.
- Sign this petition asking Congress to reject Pompeo’s DARK ACT.
- Make a donation to help offset the cost of buses, speakers, and the press conference in D.C.
- Join the Twitter Rally beginning at 7am EST on 12/10 under the hashtag #StopDarkAct.