Perhaps you already know about the numerous health benefits of coconut oil, but were you aware that in as little as one daily serving, the medium chain triglycerides (MCT) or ‘healthy’ fats in coconut oil can start to repair slow neural pathways and improve cognitive functioning and memory? This is true for people of all ages, but especially in senior adults.
The connection between coconut oil and Alzheimer’s prevention and even reversal has been made stronger than ever, as evidenced in recent studies like the one published by the journal, Neurobiology of Aging.
Why Eat (Healthful) Fat?
While many people believe they should avoid fat altogether, medium chain fatty acids are vitally important for our health. They help to:
- Prevent vitamin deficiency since many vitamins like vitamin D are only found in fatty parts of foods (good, not man-made fats, like hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils which have been tampered with by man) and are therefore called fat-soluble. This means your body can only absorb these vitamins by eating healthful fats.
- Good fats can increase the bio-availability of fat-soluble nutrients needed for multiple tasks in a healthfully functioning body.
- Good fats support both physical and physiological health in developing children, starting as early as during fetal development.
- As we age, medium chain fatty acids can help prevent cognitive laziness and loss of memory.
- MCFA or medium chain fatty acids (which are slightly different than medium chain triglycerides, but also found in coconut oil) are also extremely helpful at reducing belly fat.
The primary healthy triglyceride found in coconut oil is lauric acid, which is found abundantly in a mother’s breast milk. To build a strong body, especially a well-functioning brain, you need fatty acids. Along with balanced glucose levels, full chain amino acids and important micronutrients can keep your brain functioning at high levels from cradle to grave. Consuming coconut oil is a great way to boost not only brain health, but overall health as well.
Support natural health: checkout the new Natural Society Natural Health Clothing Line today and fund the message of organic living through our exclusive new designs!
Christina Sarich is a humanitarian and freelance writer helping you to Wake up Your Sleepy Little Head, and See the Big Picture. Her blog is Yoga for the New World. Her latest book is Pharma Sutra: Healing the Body And Mind Through the Art of Yoga.