Having a cough is something every single person goes through, sometimes on a daily basis. In fact, cough is the most common complaint in the U.S. The issue is not serious and occurs most due to something irritating the breathing passage. However, if you are constantly bugged by aching and itchy throat combined with persistent coughing, ignoring your cough can be quite difficult. What should you do then? There is no need to resort to pharmacy or doctor visits while many home remedies for cough can easily exist within your own home.
8 Home Remedies for Cough – Natural Solutions
If you’re someone seeking for an effective cough relief treatment without filling up on medication or pharmaceutical solutions, here are some home remedies for cough that may just help:
- Grapes — Eating grapes can help relieve annoying lung conditions. They also act as an effective expectorant, which allows you to get rid of sticky phlegm. Try making grape juice yourself (instead of buying it boxed from the grocery store) and mix it with some honey before you drink it.
- Garlic — Garlic is known for its antibacterial and antimicrobial components. The spice is emerging as a natural solution to fight off infections — used as an antiviral and antifungal by many natural health practitioners. Boiling cloves of garlic and drinking it like tea will not only make it easier to breathe, but it will also help to alleviate itchiness which could cause you to cough continuously. Alternatively, just add a clove of raw garlic to food or eat it straight. Aim for one or two cloves each day.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Apple cider vinegar is a solution for just about everything, including coughs. Just mix a tablespoon or two of apple cider vinegar in 8-10 ounces of water and drink it over time. You could drink it warm, add honey, or use less water or more ACV for a stronger or less strong mixture. Drink at a rate that is comfortable for you.
- Aloe juice — Mixing aloe juice and honey will also help to clear your passageways. Drinking warm aloe juice is more effective.
- Licorice – Known to soothe irritated or inflamed throats, licorice root has been used for ages to treat coughs and bronchial issues. Using real licorice, simply add an ounce of sliced licorice sticks to a quart of boiling water, letting it steep for 24 hours. Add honey, and drink up.
- Hot Milk with honey — This is a great home remedy for dry cough, specifically. The combination of warm milk and honey may help to ease the roughness and chest pain you may be experiencing. If consumed before bed time, you would unlikely wake up in the middle of the night to cough as well. Note: Dairy in general is known to welcome more mucus, so while this remedy may work for some, it probably won’t be your first choice.
- Ginger — Ginger has not only been recognized as an effective cancer fighter, but is also one of the most famous natural cures for cough. The ginger has to be partially sliced and boiled. To ensure potency, it should also be crushed a bit before boiling – crushing it will help to draw out the active ingredients. Drinking ginger as a tea will ease sore throat, non-stop coughing, and even congestion.
- Mullein tea – Acting as an expectorant to draw out trapped mucous, mullein tea can be an excellent home remedy for cough and sore throat. For the treatment, start by filling a tea ball or strainer with mullein herb (dried). Then, steep the herb in a cup of boiling water for 10 minutes. Finally, sip and drink as desired. You may also add some raw honey for taste and a boosted effect.
These home remedies for cough provide solutions without the nasty side-effects accompanied by pharmaceuticals. Don’t forget to share what works and what doesn’t work for you!
Note: As always, it is preferable to use 100% organic and/or raw ingredients and foods (unless stated otherwise) in order to avoid pesticide residues, GMOs, and other health hazards.
Google Plus Profile | Mike is the co-founder, editor, and researcher behind Natural Society. Studying the work of top natural health activists, and writing special reports for top 10 alternative health websites, Mike has written hundreds of articles and pages on how to obtain optimum wellness through natural health.