It should come as no surprise that in times without pink Pepto Bismol or fizzy Alka Seltzer, there indeed were natural stomach ache remedies, whether the cause be from poor digestion, lack of proper digestive enzymes, or eating a questionable meal. There can be many underlying reasons for a belly ache, including a hiatal hernia and Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD), but don’t worry – there are natural remedies for these discomforts.
Here are 5 natural stomach ache remedies to replace your pharmaceutical solutions.
5 Natural Stomach Ache Remedies
- 1. Fennel Seeds – These seeds have been used by numerous cultures for centuries to aid digestion and prevent bloating and gas. They are rich in magnesium, and also act as an antacid and breathe freshener. They also stimulate bile production in the liver, so you can start to rid the body of any unwanted fats in the meals you consume.
- 2. Peppermint Oil Belly Rub – As said by some people on EarthClinic, peppermint oil can ease bowel spasms, as well as refresh a tired mind (which often happens after over-eating). Mentha Peperita (another name for peppermint) is also full of vitamins A and C, offers Omega 3 fatty acids, and contains potassium, manganese, iron, magnesium, copper, and calcium. Used as an expectorant or rubbed on the belly to ease stomach cramps and digestive discomfort, peppermint oil is excellent for curing an upset stomach.
- 3. Alfalfa – This herb, also called Lucerne is derived from a legume much like a pea. It can aid in digestion greatly due to the high number of digestive enzymes it contains.
- 4. Comfrey Root – The bulk of comfrey root works in the intestines to help clear out remnants of digested food, and its mucilage even helps to heal ulcers. Comfrey root can also help destroy intestinal parasites. But comfrey helps with more than just digestion. It is also an emollient, a refrigerant (meaning it alleviates fever or thirst), a diuretic (by helping to stimulate the kidneys), a demulcent (it smoothes the mucous membranes on contact). It can help heal skin wounds and help to stop excessive bleeding. Its one herb that helps with belly aches, and a hundred other things.
- 5. Go For a Walk to Aid Digestion – When you eat a big meal, walking it off can be one of the best things you can do to aid digestion and prevent stomach aches. It can be a brief walk, but make it brisk, so that you can still breathe easily while ambling along.
Of course there are many, many more stomach ache remedies out there. So don’t forget to share which home remedies for upset stomach you’ve had success with and which ones haven’t worked for you. Everyone is a bit different!
Support natural health: checkout the new Natural Society Natural Health Clothing Line today and fund the message of organic living through our exclusive new designs!
Christina Sarich is a humanitarian and freelance writer helping you to Wake up Your Sleepy Little Head, and See the Big Picture. Her blog is Yoga for the New World. Her latest book is Pharma Sutra: Healing the Body And Mind Through the Art of Yoga.