It should come as no surprise that in times without pink Pepto Bismol or fizzy Alka Seltzer, there indeed were natural stomach ache remedies, whether the cause be from poor digestion, lack of proper digestive enzymes, or eating a questionable meal. There can be many underlying reasons for a belly ache, including a hiatal hernia and Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD), but don’t worry – there are natural remedies for these discomforts.
Here are 5 natural stomach ache remedies to replace your pharmaceutical solutions.
5 Natural Stomach Ache Remedies
- 1. Fennel Seeds – These seeds have been used by numerous cultures for centuries to aid digestion and prevent bloating and gas. They are rich in magnesium, and also act as an antacid and breathe freshener. They also stimulate bile production in the liver, so you can start to rid the body of any unwanted fats in the meals you consume.
- 2. Peppermint Oil Belly Rub – As said by some people on EarthClinic, peppermint oil can ease bowel spasms, as well as refresh a tired mind (which often happens after over-eating). Mentha Peperita (another name for peppermint) is also full of vitamins A and C, offers Omega 3 fatty acids, and contains potassium, manganese, iron, magnesium, copper, and calcium. Used as an expectorant or rubbed on the belly to ease stomach cramps and digestive discomfort, peppermint oil is excellent for curing an upset stomach.
- 3. Alfalfa – This herb, also called Lucerne is derived from a legume much like a pea. It can aid in digestion greatly due to the high number of digestive enzymes it contains.
- 4. Comfrey Root – The bulk of comfrey root works in the intestines to help clear out remnants of digested food, and its mucilage even helps to heal ulcers. Comfrey root can also help destroy intestinal parasites. But comfrey helps with more than just digestion. It is also an emollient, a refrigerant (meaning it alleviates fever or thirst), a diuretic (by helping to stimulate the kidneys), a demulcent (it smoothes the mucous membranes on contact). It can help heal skin wounds and help to stop excessive bleeding. Its one herb that helps with belly aches, and a hundred other things.
- 5. Go For a Walk to Aid Digestion – When you eat a big meal, walking it off can be one of the best things you can do to aid digestion and prevent stomach aches. It can be a brief walk, but make it brisk, so that you can still breathe easily while ambling along.
Of course there are many, many more stomach ache remedies out there. So don’t forget to share which home remedies for upset stomach you’ve had success with and which ones haven’t worked for you. Everyone is a bit different!
11 thoughts on “Stomach Ache Remedies – 5 Natural Solutions for Upset Stomach”
Natural apple cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon, straight or mixed with a little filtered water.
awesome, thanks for this wonderful info. ACV indeed is a wonderful home remedy.
Pineapple. The acids help break down foods when one has overeaten.
for reflux I do vinegar, for that omG I ate something rotten feeling I chug some home made colloidal silver, that is what works for me
HOW do you make this?
Right now, my friend has a VERY bad stomach-ache; we both drank some muscadine wine that he purchased from Wal-Mart ; it made me sick, immediately, gave me a VERY BAD stomach- ache.
I drink at least two small cans of Dole pineapple juice (comes in a small steel can). I’ve tried other brands, and I don’t know why, but they do not work. When on the go I can get by with taking 3 Nature’s Way 550mg ginger root tabs. My main stomach ache killer is to drink 1/2 to 1 ounce apple cider vinegar in juice (pineapple is best), also helps with stomach emptying so my meal does not sit there like a sack of concrete with nothing to do but prolong my pain. I noticed the Braggs organic is easier to tolerate drinking but less effective than regular apple cider vinegar though it still works fairly well.
I forgot to say to take the remedy as soon as possible after realizing this may not go away on its own. If I wait too long then almost nothing helps. Some assist with Tylenol will cover some of the pain if needed.
When you say comfrey root do you mean the actual root from the plant?
I have comfrey growing in my garden. I sometimes add it to my juices. Not sure how much of the root I would
be able to use without killing my comfrey plant.
Sorry, my third post but this is really important to me because stomach aches hurt so bad. Last time, I hope.
Cures for stomach for ache after it starts.
Almost all medication for stomach aches are just placebo driven sugar pills that sell more hope than they do results. They are worthless and dangerous and will only give me severe pain. The remedies below work for me. That’s the key word here- me. I don’t know what works for other people.
Rule number one- done eating, that’s it for the night. Not one more bite. The more content in my stomach the longer and more painful the pain. Most of my stomach aches accompany the feeling that my stomach refuses to empty. Everything just sits on hold and hurts like hell ever more the longer it sits there.
1) I drink at least two small cans of Dole pineapple juice (comes in a small steel can). I’ve tried other brands, and I don’t know why, but they do not work. Does mildly seem to assist gastric emptying. May need to fallow up with more pineapple juice if the pain starts coming back.
2) (When on the go I can get by with taking 3 Nature’s Way 550mg ginger root tabs. They work but do not feel like they help with gastric emptying.
3) My main stomach ache killer is to drink 1/2 to 1 ounce apple cider vinegar in juice (pineapple is best), also helps with stomach emptying so my meal does not sit there like a sack of concrete with nothing to do but prolong and increase my pain. I noticed that the Bragg’s organic is easier to tolerate drinking but less effective than regular apple cider vinegar in it’s effectiveness. It still works fairly well though.
Rule number two, take the remedy as soon as possible after realizing this may not go away on its own. If I wait too long then almost nothing helps. Some assist with Tylenol will cover some of the pain if needed.
The above remedies do work better than “medicine” but of the medicine that does work is Tagamet and Tums. Again, take the remedy ASAP or it will not likely work at all.
Rule number three, avoid foods that give you a stomach ache. I’ve noticed polyunsaturated oils especially canola oil will really let me have it from time to time. If I already feel a stomach ache coming on then drinking a cola is going to accelerate and intensify the damage. One of my worst stomach aches was immediately after drinking only a glass of orange juice. So sometimes it’s a mystery how it happens and repeating what you ate may do no harm the next time. Just make notes.
Let me know what works for you.
Not drinking with meals helps a lot or sipping a small amount of hot water after a meal is over. This is from Ayurvedic (Science of Life) medicine.
Also drinking a cup of hot water first thing in the morning cleanses the GI Tract & stimulates peristalsis.
great article… again, your blog post and the discussion in it give me enough stock knowledge about the whats and the must haves inside every homes.