Jackfruit Benefits: 12 Reasons to Eat and Love Jackfruit
Food as Medicine
Indigenous to India, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka, the Jackfruit tree species, growing throughout tropical climates in the world, offers an incredible super fruit that heals cancer and aids numerous health conditions. Jackfruit is an odd-looking fruit with bright yellow pods inside a bumpy green external skin. It can grow to be the size of a small child, but is most often just larger than a grapefruit. Jackfruit is full of nutrients and minerals, and helps support everything from the immune system to the digestive tract. The many health benefits of jackfruit are just below.
12 Jackfruit Benefits: Boosting Your Health the Exotic Way
A raw, organic jackfruit delivers the following benefits:
- Full of vitamin C, jackfruit is both antiviral and antibacterial. It boosts our immune system’s functioning and supports the creation of white blood cells, or lymphocytes so that we stay healthy and disease-free. Just a cup of jackfruit can supply 11.1 milligrams of this important antioxidant.
- Along with its vitamin C content, a known cancer-fighter of its own repute, jackfruit is full of special cancer-fighting phytonutrients such as lignans, isoflavones and saponins. These same nutrients are known to slow aging, slow cancer-causing free-radicals, and prolong the lives of cells in the body as well.
- Jackfruit helps to treat gastric ulcers and digestive disorders. It helps with constipation thanks to fiber content, and drives carcinogenic chemicals into the large intestine to be eliminated.
- Full of vitamin A, jackfruit can help support better eye sight and prevent blindness caused by macular degeneration. It also helps with night blindness for the same reason.
- The vitamin A in jackfruit is also a great way to support glowing, beautiful skin.
- Jackfruit is great for dieters, as it contains very few calories per serving and no saturated fats.
- The high levels of potassium in jackfruit have been known to help lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Jackfruit root can be boiled to help with asthma.
- Jackfruit contains two bone-supportive minerals – magnesium and calcium. This means fewer cases of Osteoporosis.
- This tropical fruit contains enough iron to correct iron-deficiency anemia.
- Copper is an important element for maintaining thyroid health, and jackfruit is full of this important trace mineral.
- Jackfruit can support energy levels with high levels of B2 – riboflavin, and B1 – thiamin, which helps cells convert energy from carbohydrates.
Check out NaturalSociety’s Health Benefits Database for health benefits of over 60 foods!
Christina Sarich is a humanitarian and freelance writer helping you to Wake up Your Sleepy Little Head, and See the Big Picture. Her blog is Yoga for the New World. Her latest book is Pharma Sutra: Healing the Body And Mind Through the Art of Yoga.