Sea Buckthorn (Hippophae Rhamnoides) is a super fruit full of all the Omegas – 3, 6, 9 and the rare 7, as well as a host of antioxidants and other healing nutrients. It has been used to heal psoriasis and make skin glow, boost immunity, slow aging, and lower cholesterol, but it also has numerous other qualities that make it a superior source of vitamins and minerals we all need. Read below to learn about the various health benefits of sea buckthorn.
Sea buckthorn has been used in China for more than 12 centuries to heal various disorders and is used in modern times by allopathic and Ayurvedic practitioners alike. Legend has it that even Genghis Khan, the Mongol conqueror, used Sea Buckthorn to propel the fight against his enemies.
The fruit grows primarily high in the Himalayan Mountains (Spiti Valley), which makes it particularly hearty. It is even called “Holy Fruit’ among the locals there. It is here, under the conditions of high altitude, exposure to extremely strong ultra violet radiation due to its proximity to the sun, and reflected light from heavy snows, severe cold, scorching heat, and dry, ‘barren’ soil, that this plant becomes a ‘super’ food. It is extremely life-giving and enhances both health and beauty.
Health Benefits of Sea Buckthorn
Sea buckthorn has multiple uses due to its protein building amino acids, vitamins B1, B2, K, C, A, E, and folic acid, over 60 antioxidants, at least 20 minerals, and healthy fatty acids. The fruit is full of carotenoids, xanthophylls, phenolics, and flavanoids, too. Its an absolute power house of nutrients!
The leaves, berries and roots can all be used in different forms. It is a complete food that can support the body in all the following ways:
- Treats gastrointestinal disorders including ulcers
- Reverses gout
- Eliminates skin rashes
- Cures infections
- Improves sight, lessens eye soreness
- Promotes colon health
- Contributes to proper brain and nervous system functioning
- Reduces inflammatory response in the body
- Improves mental clarity
- Treats asthmatic symptoms
- Reduces skin markings associated with measles or mumps
- Reduces illness associated with cancer
- Lowers cholesterol
- Boosts lymphatic circulation and immunity
- Reduces hunger (due to Omega 7s)
- Improves the look of skin and hair (also due to Omega 7, 3, 6, and 9s)
- Neutralizes free radicals in the body
- Slows the aging process
- Supports internal organs
- Boost health of the mucous membranes lining the digestive and respiratory tracts
- Supports urogential system
- Reduces the condition of a fatty liver
- Helps to increase cellular vitality