Sucralose, an artificial sweetener also known as Splenda, has recently been shown to be contaminating much of the nations waste water, surface water, and ground water. To figure out how present Sucralose was in the water supply, researchers analyzed water samples from 19 US drinking water treatment plants (DWTP) which serve more than 28 million people.
Sucralose was found in source water of 15 out of 19 water samples, finished water of 13 out of 17, and distribution system water of 8 out of 12. Only source waters with known waste water influence and/or recreational usage possessed Sucralose contamination. The removal rate is a very low 11% on average in the DWTPs where finished water was sampled.
Splenda is NOT a healthy alternative to sugar. Although sugar is highly over consumed and isn’t good for the body either, Splenda is a chemical “replica” of sugar. In fact, Splenda is actually only 1 percent Sucralose, and the majority is actually sugar. In an animal study published in the Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Splenda has been shown to:
- Reduce the amount of good intestinal bacteria by 50 percent
- Increase intestinal pH level
- Affect glycoprotein which can have awful health effects, especially if on certain medications
Of the nearly 200 studies on Splenda, only about 10 percent (15 studies) were conducted concerning safety. 13 of those studies were funded by the creators of Splenda. Can you say conflict of interest?
Related Read: Is Splenda Safe?
The 2 studies which were independently conducted found that Splenda was connected to migraine headaches, and other animal studies have also revealed a number of other problems:
- Decreased red blood cells – sign of anemia
- Increased male infertility due to interference with sperm production and vitality
- Enlarged and calcified kidneys
- Spontaneous abortions in close to half the rabbit population fed sucralose, while there were no aborted pregnancies in the control group
- 23 percent death rate in rabbits, compared to a 6 percent death rate in the control group
In reality, unless you use Splenda on a regular basis, you have bigger problems to worry about. It certainly is not healthy, but the negative effects stemming from it shouldn’t be a big issue if you use it only once in a while. What is important is that people realize that there is much deception and manipulation carried out by large companies.
If you really care about your health, kick the habit of consuming sucralose. Drink coffee black, and only drink organic coffee. Every little bit helps.