5 Immune-Boosting Ingredients for an Anti-Cancer Smoothie
It has been shown again and again that cancer cannot grow in an alkaline body. Cancer, in fact, thrives, in an acidic, inflammatory, oxygen-poor environment. Sadly, many of the foods we eat every day are acidic and cause, you guessed it, cancer-fueling inflammation. Why not turn that habit on its head right now by making your own super easy, fabulously healthy anti-cancer smoothie? The ingredients are below.
The recipe is easy enough that you could keep these ingredients on hand and make yourself a cancer-preventing smoothie anytime. You can even freeze the juice into popsicles to enjoy on the go. Simply throw everything in a blender and you’ve got an easy, inexpensive cancer-fighting treat:
Ingredients for a Cancer-Prevention Smoothie
- 2 handfuls of organic kale
- 1 cup of frozen organic strawberries (or any other fruit high in vitamin C)
- 1 ½ cups of coconut water
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons of hemp oil
What’s so powerful about this simple recipe? The secret is in its active ingredients and phytonutrients. For example:
- 1. Kale – A member of the cruciferous vegetable class, kale contain natural antiangiogenic molecules like brassinin, indole-3-carbinol, quercetin, lutein, sulforaphane, and kaempferol. Research on cruciferous vegetables highlights several aspects that lower cancer risk, including glucosinolates, crambene, indole-3-carbinol, and especially, isothiocyanates (which are derived from glucosinolates). These compounds found in vegetables like kale have been linked to cancer prevention repeatedly.
- 2. Strawberries – These little red lovelies can halt cancer cell growth fast. Research, carried out by Ohio State University, showed that freeze-dried strawberries slowed the growth of dysplastic, or precancerous, lesions in about 30 people who consumed the fruit for six months. Needless to say, many other fruit, such as the guyabano fruit, blueberries, apples, and cranberries, also harness cancer-fighting compounds. You can watch this video from NutritionFacts.org to compare cancer-fighting qualities of different common fruits.
- 3. Coconut – Many lab tests have found that coconuts kill cancer cells. They have also been used to treat candida, which many believe is just another breeding ground for cancer. One woman has even recovered from brain cancer utilizing healthy fats in a ketogenic diet; coconuts were a big source of those healthy fats.
- 4. Chia Seeds – Chia seeds are considered lignans, which may help to prevent cancer. They are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids as ell, which are known cancer-protective compounds.
- 5. Hemp Oil – Harvard has found that THC and other compounds in cannabis cut cancerous tumor growth rates in half. Just ask Rick Simpson about using hemp oil to treat cancer; he is the most well-known individual of them all who has utilized cannabis for its healing potential. He was once given six months to live after a cancer diagnosis, and after being what he calls a ‘chemical zombie’ for years, he turned to hemp as an essential oil to treat himself.
If you enjoy this recipe, please make sure to pass it along! And check out this chlorophyll-rich, blood-building green juice smoothie!
Christina Sarich is a humanitarian and freelance writer helping you to Wake up Your Sleepy Little Head, and See the Big Picture. Her blog is Yoga for the New World. Her latest book is Pharma Sutra: Healing the Body And Mind Through the Art of Yoga.