According to the National Pharmaceutical Association, there are over 150 commonly prescribed medications, mostly those for depression, hypertension and hormone replacement, that are causing chronic fatigue syndrome. (CFS) If you take any of the following medications, they may be causing you to feel endlessly tired, irritable and run-down:
- SSRIs – Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors like Paxil or Prozac, Zoloft or Lexapro.
- Tricyclics – Antidepressants like Norpramin or Tofranil can usually be prescribed in much lower doses or eliminated altogether.
- General antidepressants like Wellbutrin or Effexor are often over prescribed. And while Wellbutrin is meant as an antidepressant, some doctors even prescribe it for weight loss!
- Several different types of anti-hypertension drugs like Lisinopril (which has filled in more than 87.4 million prescriptions) may be unnecessary.
Doctors don’t know what causes CFS, so they don’t have specific medications to prescribe for it, even though many of the medications they currently prescribe may be causing it to occur more frequently in world populations. CFS may be an immune disorder that could be boosted by natural therapies that help to promote a healthy immune system like supporting healthy gut flora, or increasing the consumption of important phytonutrients that boost immunity with simple things like Vitamin C.
Some common reasons we feel fatigue are:
- Emotional unrest
- Trying to do too much (being a super man or super woman)
- Lack of restful sleep
- Skipping needed nutrients that help regulate our hormonal and sleep cycles
- Lack of exercise
- Depression or loneliness
- Lack of proper hydration – we need to drink more water.
- Candida overgrowth
Other reasons we may feel overly tired are:
- Iron-poor blood (anemia) – Easily treated with increasing the consumption of dark leafy greens, eggs, oysters, clams, scallops, or artichokes.
- Hypothyroidism – Natural solutions include increasing protein or full chain amino acids, reducing refined carbohydrates and simple sugars, stop eating GMO soy – which can cause havoc on the endocrine system and your thyroid glands, eat healthy fats like olive oil or ghee. Here are another 7 hypothyroidism natural treatments.
- Diabetes – Greatly benefited by changes in nutrition in many cases.
- Heart Disease – Reduced significantly with the removal of stress, smoking, and by implementing dietary adjustments.
It may be possible to treat chronic fatigue (and numerous other diseases currently being targeted with prescription medications) by actually treating the underlying causes (naturally) instead of nursing them as an overarching generalized malady.
Goulart, Francis Sheridan, Super Healing Foods. Penquin Putnam, New York.
Christina Sarich is a humanitarian and freelance writer helping you to Wake up Your Sleepy Little Head, and See the Big Picture. Her blog is Yoga for the New World. Her latest book is Pharma Sutra: Healing the Body And Mind Through the Art of Yoga.