Health Benefits of Avocados
Avocados are not just for guacamole anymore; they are a delicious fruit being used in many different ways, along with offering great health benefits. There is research on this fact (and it continues today) on the health benefits of avocados from both Central and South America dating back to about 8,000 B.C.
In the world in which we live, we should not be taking our health for granted. We must be proactive to do all we can to live a healthy lifestyle. One way to do this is by adding avocados to our daily diet. Avocados contain many health benefits to help fight off disease and other health conditions thanks to the unique nutrient content of the fruit.
Avocados contain a number of vitamins and nutrients that help to make up the fruit’s many beneficial properties.
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B Complex
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
- Phytochemicals such as Beta-sitosterol, Glutathione, and Lutein
Even though avocados contains monounsaturated fat, its health benefits far outweigh the fat issue. They are also a great source of fiber.
Health Benefits of Avocados
The overall health benefits of avocados include:
- Maintaining of Cardiovascular Health – Heart health improves by including oleic acid and omega-3 fatty acids in the diet, which are contained in avocados.
- Anti-Inflammatory Benefits – Research shows that avocados help prevent inflammation in the body, which will help osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and a whole host of other problems.
- Blood Sugar Regulation – Avocados are a relatively low carbohydrate food, which means that only about 19% of its calories come from carbohydrates. Also, they contain less than 2 grams of sugar in 1 cup, which is low on the glycemic list. It is also a great source of fiber for diabetics and everyone else needing to be on a low glycemic diet.
- Anti-cancer Benefits – Research is still in the preliminary stages as to all the benefits this food has to fight against cancer, but since avocados offer antioxidants, the risk of developing some cancer can be reduced with avocado consumption.
- Anti-Aging and Preventing of Free Radicals – Among the most popular health benefits of avocados, this food can help to slow the aging process. Research shows how food directly affects how we look, and avocados are rich in antioxidants to help slow aging. They also contain glutathione, which fight against free radicals, and will encourage a healthy strong immune system.
Along with the great health benefits of avocados, this fruit is a wonderful and delicious addition to any meal. By adding avocados to a salad, dip, smoothie, dessert, or by simply eating them straight– you will undoubtedly reap the benefits this fruit has to offer. So, explore how you can incorporate avocados into your daily diet for your health and begin experiencing the numerous benefits of avocados now.
Natural Society staff contribution