If you spend any time on the internet, you know there are an infinite number of health tips steering you in multiple different directions at any given time. You can follow them all and lose your mind in the process or you can take them all with a grain of salt, weighing them against the evidence and your own personal truths. In that regard, the best health tips and tricks are often the simplest. The ones that don’t require a scientific study or in-depth analysis.
Here are 5 obvious things you should be doing to be healthy:
1. Eat foods closest to their natural state – One of the best things you can do for your body is steer clear of processed foods. Try to choose whole, natural foods that exist without the need of a factory. Going a step further, choose foods that are organic to minimize pesticide ingestion via fruits and vegetables and drug ingestion (antibiotics, growth hormones, etc.) via conventional meat. Adopting a more natural-based diet will go a long way for your health.
2. Sleep well – Sleep is essential for optimal health. Too much or too little sleep can have fogging affects you may not attribute to a sketchy sleep schedule. Your body needs to rest in order for it to work properly; your brain needs it too. Your immune health, digestion, and even your mood depends on sleep and rest, so make sleep a priority.
3. Exercise – Tired of hearing this yet? Whether it’s walking, running, gardening, weightlifting, biking, swimming, or playing a game outside, it is essential that you stay active. One recent study has even found that activities like gardening or yard work can cut your risk of dying from all causes by 30%. Not only does being inactive ruin your physical health, it also has a negative effect on your mental state. Moving around is good for your muscles, your bones, your digestion, and your frame of mind.
4. Get fresh air – Whether you’re tired, frustrated, or just bored, getting outside for some fresh air can help. Not only are you soaking up the sun but taking deep breaths of fresh air is almost like meditation in motion. Numerous studies have actually focused on the benefits of reconnecting with nature – yes, there are many benefits. Spend some time in nature for both your physical and mental health.
5. Smile – Don’t force it. You shouldn’t have to force it if you’re following the other four tips. Be easy and take life one day at a time. We often get caught up in the hustle and bustle of the modern world and forget to enjoy what we have while we are here. If you have trouble smiling, find something that will make it easier. Life’s too short to spend it stressed out. Here are 10 tips to destress and feel better right now.
Health is simple when you look from a simple perspective. Taking care of yourself is as easy as you allow it to be. So don’t beat yourself up if you don’t know which herb to take for which illness. If you’re doing your best and following the five tips above, you’re ahead of the game.