While putting solar energy panels in your home might be a long term goal, it’s hardly an easy approach to being more earth-friendly, or green. It’s major life changes like this that keep many people from taking small steps towards more sustainable living, believing that it’s just too hard. But living a green lifestyle doesn’t have to be difficult or expensive.
Here are 26 tips for greening up your life.
- 1. Recycle at home, when you’re on the go, and any chance you have.
- 2. When it’s time to replace an appliance, choose one that’s more energy efficient.
- 3. Reuse plastic grocery bags in garbage cans or as easy totes for carrying things to and from the car.
- 4. Rather than throwing everything away, donate, hold a yard sale, or use Craigslist to get rid of things you no longer use.
- 5. Wash clothing in cold water instead of hot water.
Read: Many ‘Green’ Products are Actually Deceptive and Toxic
- 6. Buy reusable water bottles and stop purchasing cases upon cases of plastic water bottles.
- 7. Support local farmers by frequenting a local farmer’s market.
- 8. Opt for paperless billing and pay your bills online.
- 9. Carpool to work.
- 10. Use old newspapers in the garden to control weeds or to wrap fragile items.
- 11. Plant a garden to be more self-sustainable.
- 12. Start composting.
- 13. Learn food perseveration techniques.
- 14. Fix leaky faucets in your home.
- 15. Buy organic to support organic growers.
- 16. Have receipts emailed to you when given the option.
- 17. Spend more time in nature and less time “plugged in”.
- 18. Turn down your air conditioning and heat.
- 19. Shut down your computer completely when not in use – or at least put it to sleep.
- 20. When it’s time to replace your car, consider a hybrid or electric, depending on how much you drive.
- 21. Use cloth napkins instead of paper.
- 22. Use eco-friendly cleaning supplies like baking soda, lemon juice, and vinegar.
- 23. Buy houseplants to clean up the air inside your home.
- 24. Use dryer lint as fire starters or give it to the birds outside for nest building.
- 25. Take your own cup to the coffee shop.
- 26. If you’re not ready to go vegetarian, consider lightening up on your meat consumption.
Being eco-conscious doesn’t require a lot of money or major life changes. But these small adjustments can truly add up.
2 thoughts on “26 Easy Ways to Be More “Green””
right near the top of this list, should be buying your food stuffs in bulk. Starting with less packaging upfront is the best approach to being “greener”. You also get rewarded with saving money and eating better foods!!
20. Electric cars. Are they really green?
There may be health issues over emfs to consider.
Answer, buy a smaller petrol car, up to 70mpg. Use it less.