Print Friendly and PDF

Highly Toxic Mercury Present in Processed Foods, Yet FDA Does Nothing

Anthony Gucciardi
December 17th, 2011
Updated 11/08/2012 at 10:58 am
Pin It

labtestexperiment3 210x131 Highly Toxic Mercury Present in Processed Foods, Yet FDA Does Nothing

Why has the FDA ignored the fact that mercury, an element that is highly toxic in all forms, was found in a large number of brand-name processed foods? Specifically, the mercury content was found to be contained in high-fructose corn syrup, which also reportedly contains genetically modified ingredients. Instead of addressing this major public health concern, the FDA is focusing their time on crushing beneficial supplements through ridiculous NDI regulations that threaten the entire infrastructure of the nutraceuticals industry.

Researchers from two U.S. studies reported that about half of tested samples of high-fructose corn syrup contained mercury. Mercury was also found in nearly a third of 55 popular brand-name food and beverage products which listed high-fructose corn syrup as the first-or-second-highest labeled ingredient.

Following the report, organizations like the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy called on the FDA for immediate action:

“Mercury is toxic in all its forms. Given how much high-fructose corn syrup is consumed by children, it could be a significant additional source of mercury never before considered. We are calling for immediate changes by industry and the [U.S. Food and Drug Administration] to help stop this avoidable mercury contamination of the food supply,” the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy’s Dr. David Wallinga, a co-author of both studies, said in a prepared statement.

Americans Consumed Over 37 Pounds of Mercury-Laden HFCS in 2008

Mercury is toxic in any dosage, but the information becomes even more alarming when you consider the fact that the average American consumed 37.8 pounds of high-fructose corn syrup in 2008! If this is not explosive enough on its own, remember the fact that this is but one source of mercury exposure. CFL light bulbs, mercury-contaminated seafood, and some dental fillings are a few sources of mercury exposure that affect millions of individuals.

The ubiquitous nature of high-fructose corn syrup in processed food products makes it difficult to avoid if you are on a junk food diet that is devoid of essential nutrients. Unfortunately, a large number of people worldwide subscribe to this nutritional program while in the dark regarding the true effects that such a diet can have on the human body. Until the FDA decides to step in (which simply will not happen unless activists make enough noise), protecting yourself and your family against HFCS is your priority. If you eat 100% organic food items, or grow your own organic food, you will not have to worry about toxic high-fructose corn syrup.

It’s time to tell the FDA to focus on the real issues, like toxic elements in our food supply — not health-promoting supplements that have improved lives and boosted immune systems.

About Anthony Gucciardi:
1.thumbnail Highly Toxic Mercury Present in Processed Foods, Yet FDA Does NothingGoogle Plus ProfileAnthony is the Editor of NaturalSociety whose work has been read by millions worldwide and is routinely featured on major alternative and mainstream news website alike, including the powerful Drudge Report, NaturalNews, Daily Mail, and many others. Anthony has appeared on programs like Russia Today (RT), Savage Nation, The Alex Jones Show, Coast to Coast AM, and many others. Anthony is also dedicated to aiding various non-profit organizations focused around health and rehabilitation as well as the creator of the independent political website Storyleak

From around the web:

  • Ann


  • margaret millar

    And we wonder why autism has increased sinse the mid 70's….and why obese moms have increased risk for kids to be affected….no ammount is safe to the fetus or developing brain. Poison.

    • Ren Tags

      Just a word from the painfully awake. When the mainstream news comes out with one yet another goofy "cause" too much tv, old dads, old moms, cell phone towers, and the latest… fat moms. You are being had. Generally, that's to cover something REAL and TRuTHFuLL "hey" don't want the generous sleepy populus to know. But yes, when we have our kids tested, they are off the charts loaded with mercury, aluminum, lead… and the list goes on. But, you never read about that, nope, Move along, nothing to see here.

  • Shi

    Thanks for trying, William. Let's see who listens.

  • william readling

    You don't say what the concentration of mercury is in the corn syrup. Chances it is parts per trillion, or billion. This is not what I would describe as "mercury laden".

    The mercury in florescent lighting of any kind is in elemental form, which is not toxic. Modern lighting uses a tiny amount, compared to lighting equipment made in the sixties, and seventies. I can remember seeing drops of mercury in florescent tubes when I was a kid in the sixties. To become toxic mercury must be made water soluble, as for instance methyl mercury which is created when mercury is metabolized by bacteria. This is a natural process which occurs in the sediment at the bottom of lakes, and streams. Not on the floor of your kitchen, when the bulb is broken. Ionic mercury compounds such as mercuric chloride, which saved many lives by being used as a disinfectant by doctors in the last century, are toxic. These compounds disassociate in aqueous solution yielding mercury cations, which are mercury atoms stripped of one or more electrons, buy the water's highly polar nature. Mercury evaporates at room temperature, and soon leaves your home for the great outdoors. Falling later in precipitation, particularly in colder climes. Florescent lighting actually results in less heavy metals being released into the environment, by decreasing the electricity used, and thus the amount of coal that is mined, and burned around the world. Coal contains large amounts of lead, uranium, cadmium, arsenic, chromium, and mercury itself. Different coal has differing levels of these elements, but it universally has more than high fructose corn syrup.

    • Jeremy

      William Readling, thank you for the reasoned reply. We need more people like you.

      I found one of the source articles at…. Page 12 of the .pdf has the details. Based on their figures, the dosage probably exceeds the recommended maximum intake for many people.

      TO NATURAL SOCIETY: Please put references on your articles. It would be a great help. Thank you.

    • Anonymous

      Naturalnews has an article relating to this. It says that the average amount of HFCS a woman ingests daily is 12 tsp & had 5x the regulated mercury limit!


      Why do I get the impression that you're trying to downplay the danger and toxicity of mercury? It is toxic in any amount and that is indisputable. Also, you're forgetting something. Mercury deposits in deep tissues and nerve cells and is often hard to remove from the body. Therefore, exposure of small amounts over time will cause an accumulation of mercury within the body. I understand that you probably come from an elder generation which used to regard mercury as safe. I've heard stories from people that remember decades ago playing with liquid mercury in their hands. However, toxicology has advanced since then, and mercury is no joke. Why do you think that mercury is nontoxic when it is not water soluble? You just mentioned mercury evaporating. Is it nontoxic when it enters your lungs? You didn't show any proof, did you? Maybe we should just believe every word you said because you can actually form concise paragraphs. All you did was attempt to deflect the dangers of mercury by changing the subject to coal. What does coal have to do with HFCS? There are so many holes in your statements that I must conclude you are either a paid disinfo agent or just generally misled.

  • Emmett Grogan

    Mercury is known to cause insanity. As well, we now have a hole in the magnetosphere and the result of that is…insanity. Put that together, and you have a recipe for creating mass insanity on the planet. This is not a pretty future, folks.

  • joe bassett

    Hopefully when it gets to the point the citizens have to start executing these people who put these poisons in our foods and will continute with the politicians. This is why so many people are sick in this country. People should advise everyone not to eat rocessed junk in the grocery store or in restaurants. People have to realize they make the stuff taste good so you'll come back.

  • Anonymous

    MERCURY! Unbelievable! Thank you for writing about this.