Thanksgiving is a time for families to come together and celebrate, but this year may be your most expensive Thanksgiving yet thanks to skyrocketing food costs and an overall increased demand for poultry. It now costs, on average, $49.20 to feed 10 individuals on Thanksgiving. Up $5.73 from last year according to the American Farm Bureau Federation, the cost is about 22 percent more expensive than it was last year.
Last year, a 16-pound Thanksgiving turkey was priced at $17.70. This year, the same bird costs an average of $21.60. The price rise signifies the highest jump in 20 years.
Due to the increased cost of delivery, rising food costs, and the overall handling of food, supermarkets and other food sellers are increasing prices across the board. In fact the difference in price does not only apply to the Thanksgiving turkey. The cost of many other food items also increased from last year, including milk and other popular Thanksgiving food items:
- 1 gallon of milk went up by 42 cents since last year to $3.66.
- Pumpkin pie mix: up 41 cents to $3.03.
- Whipping cream: up 26 cents to $1.96
- Cubed stuffing: up 24 cents to $2.88
- 16-pound turkey: up $3.91 to $21.57
- Green peas: up 24 cents to $1.68
- Dozen rolls: up 18 cents to $2.30
- Sweet potatoes: up 7 cents to $3.26
- Fresh cranberries: up 7 cents to $2.48
- Pie shells: up 6 cents to $2.52
- Misc. ingredients: up 12 cents to $3.10
- Relish tray: down 1 cent to $0.76
- Total: up $5.73 to $49.20
The Rising Price of Food and the Effects on the Global Economy
Google Plus Profile Anthony is the Editor of NaturalSociety, producer, consultant, and seeker of truth. Anthony's work has been read by millions worldwide and is routinely featured on major alternative and mainstream news website alike, like the powerful Drudge Report, NaturalNews, Infowars, and many others. Anthony has appeared, oftentimes routinely, on programs like Russia Today (RT), The Alex Jones Show, Coast to Coast AM, and others. Anthony is also a founding member of Natural Attitude and the creator of the independent political website Storyleak