There has been a large degree of lively debate over the issue of fluoridation, but what exactly is water fluoridation? Water fluoridation has come to refer to the addition of over 40 chemicals into the water supply that synergistically come together to wreak havoc on the body and its processes. There is a lot of disinformation concerning the issue of water fluoridation, but there is only one true answer. Is your water slowly killing you?
Real or Perceived Danger?
If fluoride truly is a killer, then why is it still being added to the water supply? The truth is that only about 5% of the world is current fluoridated. Of the 5% of the world population that is fluoridated, 50% of these citizens reside in the United States. Other countries have rejected fluoridation due to a wide variety of health concerns, with one primary factor being thyroid damage. Even China, who ships in our sodium fluoride, has voiced massive opposition to water fluoridation in the past. Many other countries have also decided against fluoridation due to the health risk.
Studies have shown many times over that fluoride really does pose a threat to the body. Even if there were only a few studies proving that fluoride is harmful, then the government should act to protect the people. If the government felt that the studies were conducted improperly, then an independent investigation should be funded. There really is no excuse for not examining the issue further. Supporters of fluoridation would most likely argue that there is no necessity to investigate fluoridation further, and that there is no implication that fluoride is unsafe for general consumption.
- Sodium fluoride made in China and shipped to the United States, complete with a label that indicates its toxicity.
This argument would be somewhat effective if there were not so many studies highlighting the harmful effects of fluoride. In addition to the studies, officials from around the globe have been calling for an end to fluoridation since its inception. The Department of Health in New Jersey found that areas with fluoridated water had between two and seven times higher bone cancer rates than communities that were not fluoridated. In another famous study, neurotoxicologist and former Director of toxicology at Forsyth Dental Center in Boston, Dr. Phyllis Mullenix found that even moderate levels of fluoride exposure led to varying degrees of brain damage. The damage was caused due to fluoride building up in the brain.
What is more shocking is that even the offspring of the studied animals were affected. While the doses were relatively low, the animals experienced permanent effects to the brain that were similar to ADD symptoms. Other studies throughout the past 50 years have linked fluoride to osteoarthritis, inhibited thyroid function, decreased sperm count, cancer, decreased strength, and much more. One of the most recent studies found that fluoride may not help teeth at all.
The Flagship of Chemical Pollution
Fluoride is not the only thing in your water. Cocaine was recently found in the drinking water, along with various hormones. Unfortunately, traces of cocaine may be the least of your worries. Other toxic pollutants are often found in the drinking water across the United States. Even if you do not drink tap water directly, it can also be in many products such as soda or beer. Foods absorb water as well, and your food may be absorbing these pollutants. One of the best options to prevent against exposure to these chemicals is to purchase a high quality water filter, or get your water from a pure source such as a spring.
Other pollutants typically found in the drinking water:
- Lead, which can enter the water supply through corrosive pipes or improper water treatment
- Pathogens that cause disease and are especially crippling to those with weakened immune systems
- By-products of chlorine treatment such as trihalomethanes and haloacetic acids, which have been linked to cancer and reproductive problems
- Arsenic, which may cause cancer, serious skin problems, birth defects and reproductive problems
- Radon, a carcinogen linked to lung cancer
It is important to remember that these pollutants can also be absorbed or inhaled by the body during showering. A high quality shower filter is a necessity for everyone who does not have a house-wide filtration system. Protecting yourself from toxic tap water is very important, but it is vital that the citizens of the world correct the problem the correct way. It is time that water fluoridation comes to an end worldwide. With many nations leading the way in the war against water fluoridation, the proper momentum has been generated. The United States remains as one of the last stubborn countries to refuse to look at the facts. Tell everyone you know about the toxic effects of water fluoridation, and allow them to research the facts for themselves. Through peaceful and intelligent means, water fluoridation can easily be stopped.
- Cohn PD, A Brief Report On The Association Of Drinking Water Fluoridation And The Incidence of Osteosarcoma Among Young Males, NJ Depart. of Health, Environ. Health Service, 1992, 1- 17
- Cheng YX, IQ of children in areas of high fluorine content, Chinese Journal of Control of Endemic Diseases, Supplement 1991.
- J Epidemiol (CL8), 1996 Dec; 6 (4): 184-91
- Chrischilles E, Shireman T, Wallace R. Costs and health effects of osteoporotic fractures. Bone 1994;15:377-386.
- Dambacher MA, Ittner J, Ruegsegger P. Long-term fluoride therapy of postmenopausal osteoporosis. Bone 1986;7:199-205.
- Riggs BL, Hodson SF, O’Fallon WM, et al. Effect of fluoride treatment on the fracture rate in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. NEJM 1990;322:802-809.
- Kleerkoper ME, Peterson E, Phillips E, et al. Continuous sodium fluoride therapy does not reduce vertebral fracture rate in postmenopausal osteoporosis (abstract) J Bone Miner Res 1989; Res 4 [Suppl]:S376.
- Hedlund LR, Gallagher JC. Increased incidence of hip fracture in osteoporotic women treated with sodium fluoride. J Bone Miner Res 1989;4:223-225.
- Avioli LV. Fluoride treatment of osteoporosis. Postgrad Med: a special report, 14 Sept 1987:26-27.
3 thoughts on “Toxic Tap Water: Chemical Laden Water Tied to a Number of Life Threatening Diseases”