A recent study published in Environmental Health Perspectives, a publication of the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, has linked fluoride consumption with a decreased IQ in children. While the media acts like this is one of a kind, this is not the first study to link fluoride to diminished IQ in children.
Over 24 other studies before this have unanimously concluded that fluoride negatively impacts cognitive function. In addition to these 24 studies focusing on cognition, over 100 animal studies have linked fluoride to an increase in male infertility, diabetes, and a whole host of other health problems.
The difference between past studies and this new study is that key variables were able to be controlled. The results from this study showed that 28% of the children who lived in an area where fluoride levels were low achieved the highest test scores. This means that the children exposed to less fluoride scored normal or advanced, while only 8% of fluoridated children did the same. Even more disturbing, 15% of the fluoridated children scored low enough to indicate mental retardation. In contrast, only 6% had scores indicating mental retardation in the area with low levels of fluoridation.
Fluoride has been known to be a poisonous chemical for years. Despite all of the evidence linking fluoride to serious health conditions, the FDA deems it necessary to put in the water for its teeth strengthening effects. Even the mainstream media has questioned its impact on tooth decay, with studies questioning its effectiveness. While the argument for fluoride typically revolves around preventing tooth decay, why would it need to be ingested via our water supply? If anything, it should only be used topically, which is still questionable.
Unfortunately, fluoride isn’t the only harmful chemical that can be found in the water we drink, cook with, clean with, and bathe in. Lead, arsenic, radon, birth control, manganese, and other carcinogenic chemicals have also been found in the water supply.
Researchers in Quebec found that manganese is also responsible for lowering IQ in children. Together, manganese and fluoride can both wreak havoc on mental dexterity. Adding fuel to the fire, hexavalent chromium, a deadly carcinogen, has been found in the water of 31 U.S. cities out of 35 tested.
The FDA achieved great success by tricking the public into thinking that certain poisonous compounds are actually beneficial to health. More nefariously, they have also done a fantastic job cloaking the truth regarding these toxic chemicals. As more studies continuously link water pollutants with degenerative health conditions, the truth will continue to come out. Only through educating the public can water fluoridation be reversed.
- Cheng YX, IQ of children in areas of high fluorine content, Chinese Journal of Control of Endemic Diseases, Supplement 1991.
- J Epidemiol (CL8), 1996 Dec; 6 (4): 184-91
- Chrischilles E, Shireman T, Wallace R. Costs and health effects of osteoporotic fractures. Bone 1994;15:377-386.
- Dambacher MA, Ittner J, Ruegsegger P. Long-term fluoride therapy of postmenopausal osteoporosis. Bone 1986;7:199-205.
- Riggs BL, Hodson SF, OFallon WM, et al. Effect of fluoride treatment on the fracture rate in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. NEJM 1990;322:802-809.
- Kleerkoper ME, Peterson E, Phillips E, et al. Continuous sodium fluoride therapy does not reduce vertebral fracture rate in postmenopausal osteoporosis (abstract) J Bone Miner Res 1989; Res 4 [Suppl]:S376.
- Hedlund LR, Gallagher JC. Increased incidence of hip fracture in osteoporotic women treated with sodium fluoride. J Bone Miner Res 1989;4:223-225.
- Avioli LV. Fluoride treatment of osteoporosis. Postgrad Med: a special report, 14 Sept 1987:26-27.
Support natural health: checkout the new Natural Society Natural Health Clothing Line today and fund the message of organic living through our exclusive new designs!
Mike is the co-founder, editor, and researcher behind Natural Society. Studying the work of top natural health activists, and writing special reports for top 10 alternative health websites, Mike has written hundreds of articles and pages on how to obtain optimum wellness through natural health.