OTC Painkillers Linked to Hearing Loss, Other Ailments: What are the Alternatives?
A recent study found women who take these over the counter painkillers on a regular basis are at a greater risk of hearing loss. The study lasted from 1995 to 2009, over which time period women who took ibuprofen 2-3 times per week experienced a 13% drop in hearing capability. Those who took it six or more days a week had a 24% loss in hearing.
Millions of Americans suffer from chronic pain. Whether due to arthritis or injuries—this pain has many turning to a bottle of pills several times a day to take the edge off. Ibuprofen, aspirin, and acetaminophen are taken like candy in many households, popped for everything from a mild headache to chronic and debilitating conditions. But these solutions are not solutions at all.
If anything, they are causing bigger problems.
In pregnant women, over the counter pain medications have been associated with a greater incidence of undescended testicles in their unborn sons.
Aspirin has been tied to blindness and vision problems and strokes, while all OTC painkillers have been linked to intestinal bleeding.
So, what are your alternatives? There are several. Pain is not new, but these drugs are. For centuries, humans have used natural solutions to treat pain and illness. Check out some of these options:
- Essential oils – Both peppermint and lavender oils have proven effective at treating headaches.
- Acupuncture is an effective solution for a wide variety of pain problems including chronic and debilitating pain.
- Exercise – Increased circulation to the areas experiencing pain can help. If it hurts too much to get in a full workout, try some gentle stretching.
- Curcumin, found in turmeric, has been proven even more effective than arthritis drugs in treating pain. While you can buy it in capsule form, you can also use it in cooking or teas.
- Boswellia also shows promise as a natural pain reliever, reducing the pain index by 90 percent in study subjects.
- Other herbs including willow bark and tart cherry also show promise as pain relievers.
There are numerous natural pain relievers available and numerous reasons why you should steer clear of the pills you find at the drug store.