The Monsanto corporate website was hacked on May 29, 2013, just days after more than 2 million people marched against the organization around the world, and despite an almost complete media blackout. Anonymous, a group of internet hackers calling themselves ‘hacktivists’, was able to temporarily shut down the site as an act of outright revolt against Monsanto’s illegal and predatory practices of planting poison GMO crops even despite the public’s desperate attempts to stop them.
A statement released by Anonymous relates:
“Monsanto is facing the wrath of activists because they are altering the nature of our food supply without a concern about long term effects on human health, because they are creating a monopoly on the supply of seeds for farmers, and, because of increasing evidence of long term environmental damages.”
This same hacktivist has previously hacked into Monsanto’s website before, and also the public relations companies associated with them. In December of 2012, the hackers infiltrated the PR firm known as The Biving Group due to “15+ years of running marketing campaigns and helping some of the most corrupt corporations on the planet, as well as several governmental agencies, cover up their dirt.” Going by information released by Anonymous, Bivings Group shut down all of their servers and liquidated their assets after the infiltration.
Will activists take on increasingly desperate attempts to shut down corporations like Monsanto as the global spread of GMO seed endangers our food supply? As Monsanto seems to slide like a slippery eel through government institutions that are supposed to protect the people from health hazards like GMO, including the Senate, Congress, FDA, and our completely mute presidential office, perhaps the public is getting anxious as the GMO monopoly continues to grow in India and the US, as in other countries, despite rampant activism to stop them.
The group itself demands Monsanto to stop:
- Contaminating the global food chain with GMO’s.
- Intimidating small farmers with bullying and lawsuits.
- Propagating the use of destructive pesticides and herbicides across the globe.
- Using “Terminator Technology”, which renders plants sterile.
- Attempting to hijack UN climate change negotiations for your own fiscal benefit.
- Reducing farmland to desert through monoculture and the use of synthetic fertilizers.
- Inspiring suicides of hundreds of thousands of Indian farmers.
- Causing birth defects by continuing to produce the pesticide “Round-up”
- Attempting to bribe foreign officials
- Infiltrating anti-GMO groups
One commenter on AnonymousEX’s Facebook timeline stated, “Anonymous is not one, Anonymous is everybody!”