Recent research shows that people who regularly consume grapes are more likely to eat better overall. The findings, presented at the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Food and Nutrition Conference and Exposition in Philadelphia, showed that both children and adults who ate grapes made healthier choices and consumed better food.
Grape-eaters were shown to have higher intakes of: fiber, calcium, magnesium, potassium, and vitamins A, C, and B6. In addition to eating more of the good stuff, grape eaters were found to eat less of the bad stuff—including processed foods and fast foods.
This isn’t the first study to extol the virtues of grapes—it is one of the most studied fruits out there and has been repeatedly linked to healthier lifestyles.
Other grape benefits include:
- Grapes provide significant protection against oxidative damage in the eyes. They actually work to prevent blindness and age-related vision loss.
- They work to protect the skin against sunburn and skin cancer, showing how they can be great for home remedies for sunburn.
- The antioxidants within may play a role in reducing the risk of dementia.
- They may work to increase longevity.
- Grapes can lower the risk of heart disease and diabetes.
- They can lower blood pressure.
Grapes are rich in antioxidants, which protect the body’s cells from oxidative damage. This means they can protect against aging and the diseases and symptoms of aging. The benefits of each antioxidant within grapes are really just too many to list.
The latest research, which finds grape-eaters to be healthier overall, is promising because grapes are one of several fruits that children seem to love. Keeping clean grapes available in the refrigerator at all times will encourage healthy snacking. Try freezing grapes for a special hot-weather snack as well.
But be warned: grapes are often covered in pesticides and they are considered one of the “dirtiest” fruits. So, always buy organic. If organic isn’t available, make a solution of lemon juice, vinegar, and water. Wash the grapes in this harmless solution and rinse well before eating. This homemade concoction will help break down chemicals that might be present on the surface of your fruit.