FDA: Honey Pacifiers may be Linked to Serious Poisoning
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning parents and caregivers not to give honey to babies under 1 year of age after 4 infants in Texas were hospitalized with botulism after using pacifiers containing the sticky, sweet substance.
The warning was issued November 16 after the agency received “reports from the state of Texas that 4 infants have been hospitalized with botulism,” which is a “rare but serious” condition that can sometimes be fatal.
The honey pacifiers believed to have caused the illnesses were purchased in Mexico, but similar products can be purchased online in the U.S.
According to the FDA, botulism is “caused by a toxin that attacks the body’s nerves and causes difficulty breathing, muscle paralysis, and even death.” The toxin is usually produced by the Clostridium botulinum bacteria.
The agency explained:
“Honey is a known source of Clostridium botulinum spores, which can multiply in a baby’s immature digestive system, and has previously been implicated in some cases of infant botulism.”
In infants, the first signs of botulism typically include constipation, poor feeding or weak suckling, loss of head control, and trouble breathing. 
The FDA urged parents who give their infant pacifiers dipped in honey or filled with the substance to stop using them immediately. It also urged online retailers to discontinue sales of the products.
The health watchdog said on Twitter:
“If you purchased a pacifier filled with honey, stop using it & discard it immediately.”
While honey is not safe for infants younger than 1 year, it is safe for older children.
 Fox News
Julie Fidler is a freelance writer, legal blogger, and the author of Adventures in Holy Matrimony: For Better or the Absolute Worst. She lives in Pennsylvania with her husband and two ridiculously spoiled cats. She occasionally pontificates on her blog.