You should look for coconuts that are not only white but smooth and pointed on one end in particular. Of course coconuts of this type are not the ‘traditional’ kind you may usually see in the grocery store or local produce market. These ‘traditional’ coconuts (the kind you don’t want) are brown and contain many small hairs. This is essential to preparing the right kind of coconut water — the kind from which the most coconut water benefits will be experienced. While the positive characteristics are many, research shows coconut water is beneficial due to:
- The fact that it contains essential B vitamins, minerals, and trace elements. The include zinc, selenium, iodine, sulfur, and manganese. These essential substances are very beneficial in the treatment of many health conditions.
- The way in which coconut water can lower your blood pressure. This is one of the most powerful reasons to drink coconut water. Coconut water is an effective way to combat hypertension, with one peer-reviewed study finding that 71% of participants reported a decrease in blood pressure after consuming it!
- Beneficial electrolytes contained in coconut water. The drink contains potassium, sodium, phosphorous, magnesium, calcium — all 5 essential electrolytes!
- Rich amounts of cytokinins which are plant hormones that can fight against cancer and aging.
- High amounts of amino acids, organic acids, enzymes, antioxidants, and phytonutrients.
Coconut water benefits are many, and the hydrating substance presents itself as an excellent alternative to sports drinks and a delicious way to improve your health and slash your blood pressure. This is the reason that coconut water is treasured in many tropical cultures for its healing properties and refreshing qualities. Hawaiians actually call coconut water “noelani,” which means “dew from the heavens.”