When it comes to having healthy, beautiful hair, you need to start from the inside out. Just like your skin appearance reflects a healthy diet, so does your hair. Nutritional deficiencies and simple poor self-care can lead to limp, dry, or lifeless hair. But in addition to giving your hair a healthy foundation from which to grow, there are also home remedies that can deliver simple added benefits.
- 1. Honey – A natural humectant, honey is great if you suffer from dry, damaged hair. Simply massage about ½ cup into hair and let it sit for about 20 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with warm water. Manduka honey is best, but any raw honey will work. You can stir in an egg yolk or even some mashed avocado for additional moisture. Here are some other health benefits of honey.
- 2. Apple Cider Vinegar – Like raw honey and coconut oil, raw apple cider vinegar should already be in your arsenal. This works to soften and smooth hair follicles while gently removing excess oils. Use the vinegar as a rinse. Dilute a few tablespoons in water and rinse your hair with it after washing. Let sit for a few minutes before rinsing. The smell will dissipate and you’ll be left with softer locks. Promoting healthy hair is just one benefit of apple cider vinegar – check out other apple cider vinegar cures here.
- 3. Coconut Oil – Another great remedy for dry and damaged locks is coconut oil. If you’re like most natural health aficionados, you already have some in the kitchen and bathroom. Simply massage it in and rinse it thoroughly. The longer you allow it to sit, the more conditioning it is able to do. So, give it at least 20 minutes before rinsing with warm water.
- 4. Baking Soda – If oily scalp is a problem, you need something that will deep clean. Baking soda can remove dandruff caused by excess sebum (oil) production and any other build-up that’s accumulated on your scalp. Mix about a fourth of a cup of baking soda in a quart of water. Pour over top of your head, being careful not to get it in your eyes. Allow to sit for about 5 to 10 minutes before rinsing.
- 5. Beer - It might not be your first choice, or even your last, but beer is a great treatment for limp, lifeless hair; the yeast inside beer helps make hair fuller by. Mother Nature News recommends using flat beer and mixing with a teaspoon of sunflower oil. Apply the mixture to clean, damp hair and let sit for about 15 minutes before rinsing.
Related Read: Diet for Healthy Hair
For healthy hair: first, eat right. Second, use natural treatments that aren’t laden with toxins and perfumes. You don’t have to spend a fortune on fancy brand-name conditioners and treatments when you have efficient and affordable solutions in your own kitchen.
Support natural health: checkout the new Natural Society Natural Health Clothing Line today and fund the message of organic living through our exclusive new designs!